So. Yeah. I’ll be moving in the next week or so, so we can get the house sold and finally be done with… many things. It’s been an experience.
Among other things, there’s a distinct difference between a wireless router being nonfunctional, and being – heh – cut off.
Long story short. I need internet to work, update blog, you all know the drill. So getting that established over in the new place was a priority before we could think about moving over there in earnest. So… apartments have a “concierge” to handle that, we set up an account, should have been good to go.
Well. Except for a few things. Like not having the phone number for the new place. That took some hoops to jump through, especially since the concierge was suddenly Not Available for a few days.
And then there was trying to hook up the internet equipment – router/modem combo. Which came as a self-install kit, ’cause due to the whole Covid mess phone companies are trying not to send out techs unless they absolutely have to.
We followed the directions. And installed it. But while the power lights came on where they were supposed to, no data was being transferred.
Me, poking the piece of equipment that came with the apartment, that we found on top of the water heater. “It’s supposed to be a fiberoptic hookup. So… where’s the wire hooking it to that?”
After banging our heads against it most of an afternoon, we had to admit defeat. And try to get a technician for help.
Note: I am Not Impressed by websites that offer to allow you to chat/send messages to get technical help, then demand an ID before they’ll allow you to talk to anyone. The ID we didn’t have. Because the concierge was out.
Ended up having to spend hours – literal hours – on hold to finally get through on our current phone to set up an appointment for the other phone. And can I say there’s an inherent flaw in the system if it automatically assumes the phone you’re calling on is the one you have a problem with? Does Not Compute!
Anyway. Technician appointment obtained. Guy showed up on Wednesday within the 2-hour timeslot. (We spent the waiting time measuring things, fitting in washer and dryer will be doable but tricky.) Technician took the equipment, took the piece that came with the apartment….
Picture the most perplexed expression, ever. Even over a mask. “Um… this is supposed to be attached to a fiberoptic cable.”
Me: (I knew it.)
Fortunately it was apparently a relatively easy fix – he just had to trim wires and reattach the box where it was supposed to be. Then the router could be hooked up, and everything finally worked.
…The self-install instructions do not start with “check that no idiot has clipped the equipment off the fiberoptic cable”. Oi.
I wonder what else “I’ve never seen that happen before!” we’ll run into.